This event is closed.
KEVIN HAYS WORKSHOP – SATURDAY MARCH 12, 2016
Kevin will be conducting a workshop for pianists and other instrumentalists interested in developing their harmony, line playing, and general improvisational skills on Saturday, March 12th in NYC and on Skype Video from 2:00-5:00pm EST.
These small, intimate classes provide an opportunity to play, ask questions, problem solve, and discuss whatever issues students wish to bring forward.
Topics will include:
- Harmonic development on standards and originals
- Voice leading through progressions and in soloing (applicable to all instruments)
- Rhythm and phrasing – ‘Demystifying Swing’
- Creating new voicings spontaneously
- Melodic and inventive line playing – breaking free of patterns and ‘licks’
- Dealing with nerves
- Solving technical problems
- The art of building a solo
These workshops fill up quickly. Registration and pre-payment are required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
“Kevin Hays is a true original. Everything he plays has a deep intelligence and swing. - Brad Mehldau
“This workshop is really great. Kevin’s ability to balance the presentation of musical concepts with personal demonstration and hands-on coaching was perfect. It allowed for the session to have a private lesson feel, but with the advantages of group input only possible in the context of a larger master class. I learned a lot – when’s the next one?”
- Gary Versace (Maria Schneider, John Scofield, John Abercrombie, Al Foster)